Shakshuka With Sweet Potatoes
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 sweet potato (about 1 lb.), peeled and diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small sweet yellow onion, sliced thin
1 Anaheim or banana pepper (or something mild like red or green bell pepper), sliced thinly
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon salt
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
½ teaspoon flaky sea salt
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
1 avocado, sliced
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add ¼ cup of the olive oil and the diced sweet potatoes and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring often. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, remove them onto a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Wipe the pan clean and add the remaining olive oil. Heat on high and add the cherry tomatoes. They’ll burst a little bit, so be careful of splattering oil. Add the onion, pepper and garlic and season with the salt. Let the vegetables cook for 2-3 minutes to caramelize until they become opaque.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and reduce to medium-low heat. Add the sweet potatoes back into the sauce and cook for 3-4 minutes until reduced and thickened. Using the back of a spoon, make 4 wells in the sauce. Crack the eggs into each well and cook until the whites are solid but the yolk is still runny. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish each egg yolk with sea salt and sprinkle the parsley and green onions over the entire pan. Add avocado and feta, if using.
- Serve with bread to soak everything up!
All other trademarks referenced herein are the properties of their respective owners.