Tex-Mex Mighty Migas
Avocado Greek Yogurt 'Crema' Ingredients
1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted and peeled
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch of cumin
Salt and pepper
Avocado Greek Yogurt 'Crema' Directions
- For the Greek Yogurt 'Crema': Place avocado, Greek yogurt, lime juice, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor or blender and puree to combine.
- Set aside until ready to use.
Tomatillo Pico de Gallo Ingredients
½ small white onion, small diced
½ -1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
1 garlic clove, grated or minced
Salt, about 1½ teaspoons
Juice of 1 lime, about 3 tablespoons
4 tomatillos, husked, cleaned, and chopped
1 small handful cilantro, plus some to garnish
Pinch of ground cumin
Splash of green hot sauce, to taste, optional
Tomatillo Pico de Gallo Directions
- Place onion, jalapeño, and garlic in a medium size mixing bowl and generously salt.
- Add the lime juice and stir to combine. Let sit for at least a few minutes.
- Add the tomatillos, cilantro, cumin, and hot sauce, if using, and set aside.
4 corn tortillas
Drizzle of olive oil
4-6 ounces of Mexican chorizo, removed from its casing
5-6 eggs, scrambled in a bowl
½ -¾ cup mild cheddar cheese and/or pepper jack, shredded
2 pieces scallion, thinly sliced
Pickled jalapeño rings
- Turn on stove, if using, and individually char the tortillas on both sides over the flame. If using a cast iron or stainless skillet, place over high heat and char the corn tortillas on both sides. Set aside until cool enough to handle and cut into strips.
- Add a little olive oil or vegetable oil. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, add chorizo. Cook, while breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon, until brown, crumbly, and cooked through.
- Add a few spoonfuls of the tomatillo pico de gallo and cook for a few minutes. Using your spoon or spatula, make a well in the middle and add the eggs to the middle of the pan. Gently stir as they start to scramble in the pan.
- Add the charred and chopped tortillas to the pan and gently fold in the mixture.
- Add the cheese and top with a lid or gently cover with foil to help the cheese melt.
- To plate, place a portion of the egg mixture on a plate and top with some of the raw tomatillo pico de gallo mixture, scallion, pickled jalapeños and a dollop of the avocado Greek yogurt.
*Does not include optional garnishes
All other trademarks referenced herein are the properties of their respective owners.