Work benefits can be hard to figure out. If you have any questions, reach out to your company's representative. In the meantime, these tips are options that can help you navigate your employer's benefit package:
- Health Savings Account (HSA): You may end up paying out of pocket for medical expenses before your deductible is met. So, if you have a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP), consider using a Health Savings Account (HSA). With an HSA, you can deduct money from your paycheck tax-free to cover medical expenses
- Review time-off policies: Many employers offer sick days or personal days as part of their benefits package. You may want to use these days when you need to get some extra rest or focus on treatments
- Know your legal rights: Having CF may entitle you to protections under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Learn more here
- Know your insurance options: Insurance is complex, and choosing the best plan takes time and research. Be sure to reach out to your company's representative for help with choosing an option that's right for you
Your cystic fibrosis (CF) Care Center may also be able to help you sort through insurance options.
- COBRA*: If you lose your health benefits, you may be eligible for coverage through COBRA
* COBRA stands for Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985.