AN UP-TO-DATE RESOURCE FOR LIFESTYLE TIPS, FEATURED CONTENT, AND MORE
If you’re a caregiver, you're probably used to juggling childcare and work, leaving little time to consider ways to upgrade your routine. Take a look below for a few tips about maintaining a healthy mindset and some new activities to do with the whole family. Plus, find a tasty recipe your child will love!
Tips for maintaining a healthy mindset
With so much on your plate, it can be easy to forget about the importance of a healthy mindset. Keep your stress in check by trying some of these tips.
- Set a goal. To help yourself feel a little more optimistic and in control, try setting a goal. It can be for your career, relationships, or even something creative
- Focus on the present. Our minds naturally wander and fill with thoughts about how a situation might have gone differently, leading to extra stress. Become a little more present by focusing on the details of what’s around you right now. Don’t worry if it’s hard at first. Our lives are filled with so many distractions!
- Practice “sleep hygiene.” Sleep hygiene is all about good sleep habits. That means trying your best to go to bed and wake up at the same time each day, avoiding caffeine close to bedtime, and making your bedroom quiet and relaxing
- Make time for self-care. Research shows that when you’re feeling anxious, it can actually affect the health of your child. So, take some time for yourself. Start small by getting some fresh air, celebrating life milestones, and keeping a journal
- Lean on other caregivers. Whatever you’re going through, seeing that you’re not alone can help you feel better. If you want to find a CF-specific community, take a look at the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s CF Peer Connect program
3 activities the whole family will love
After almost a year of a lot of indoor time, you may be out of new ways to keep your family entertained. Try some of these the next time your streaming service of choice comes up empty.
- Bring the outdoors inside. Grab some sheets and blankets to build a little living room fort (you could also use an old tent). Put on a wilderness playlist and toast up a few marshmallows. For an extra-tasty treat, drop them into a cup of slow cooker hot chocolate
- Turn your living room into a salon. Pull out some hair product, grab a handful of scrunchies, and get a mirror ready. You can even make a little fashion competition by setting a timer and selecting a judge
- Try some kid-friendly yoga. Doing yoga together can actually help your family connect. To get started, try having everyone doing these 2 simple poses:
Mountain Pose: Stand with feet parallel, big toes touching and heels slightly apart. Raise arms overhead, palms facing each other.
Warrior: While standing, bring 1 foot back and angle it out. Bend your front knee. Lift your arms overhead and look up.
Muffin Tin Tostadas
Need to spice up your recipe routine? Give these Muffin Tin Tostadas a try. They’re tasty, easy to make and, best of all, made for your child to cook with you. After you’ve had your fill, take a look at the kid-friendly cook book for more cooking inspiration and meal ideas designed to make big helpers out of little hands.