Beginning the transition
Ask for help: Ask your child’s current cystic fibrosis (CF) care team when to start transitioning to an adult CF Center. They can answer questions, give details on the process, and recommend centers, if needed.
Research insurance details: Some insurance plans have an age limit for pediatric care. Ask your provider to explain the details of your plan.
Questions to ask your loved one’s CF Center
Not all CF Centers offer exactly the same services. Your child’s current CF Center may provide adult care, or you might consider switching them from a pediatric center to an adult center.
Schedule time for you and your child to ask questions and get to know the center. Encourage your child to ask questions, such as:
- What specialists and services are available at this center?
- What plan does this center have in place for receiving new patients?
- Will I be able to contact an on-call healthcare provider when the center is closed?
- Does this center offer telehealth services when in-person appointments aren’t possible?
- Will I be able to see a healthcare provider if I’m sick, but do not require a hospital visit?
- How often will I need to visit the CF Center?
- Does this center arrange for transportation?