Homemade Vanilla Pudding
Calories Per Serving
Fat Per Serving
⅓ cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
⅛ teaspoon salt
2⅓ cups whole milk
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, milk, and egg yolks. Add to a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, whisking every few minutes. Cook until the whole mixture is bubbling.
- Once bubbling, cook for another minute, gently whisking once or twice. (Whisking too vigorously can break down the pudding’s binding properties!)
- Remove mixture from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla extract.
- Transfer the pudding into a large bowl and cool until it’s lukewarm, then cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Serve with berries, whipped cream, cookies, or banana slices!
*When made without toppings.
Make sure your pudding isn’t lumpy! Using a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl, pour the pudding through. This will help prevent lumps in your pudding.