Chicken and Dumpling Bake
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
3 cups chicken broth, from can or bullion
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken, cooked and cut into
1 cup frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup whole milk
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions, carrots, and celery until soft.
- In a bowl, add a small portion of the unheated broth to the flour and stir until smooth. Slowly mix in remaining broth and add to skillet. Stir over medium heat as the mixture thickens.
- Add the chicken, peas, salt, and pepper. Simmer on low.
- Make the dumplings. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg to the milk and beat until well blended. Stir into the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Pour the chicken mixture into a lightly oiled or sprayed casserole dish. Drop dumpling dough by the spoonful—about 8 dollops—onto chicken mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 400ºF for 15 minutes or until the dumplings are golden brown.