Tofu Hash With Smashed Potatoes
1 pound baby potatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pinch ground black pepper to taste
1 cup chopped kale
1 cup chopped cabbage
½ onion, sliced
½ red bell pepper, diced
4 ounces firm tofu, crumbled
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pot of salted water, bring potatoes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes until potatoes are tender. Drain in a colander.
- Heat 1½ tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and add potatoes.
- Using the back of a spatula, carefully smash each potato to about ½-inch thickness. Sear potatoes on each side for about 3 minutes until they’re crispy. Season with pepper and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat in a pan. Add kale, cabbage, onion, and bell pepper, and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Crumble tofu over the top of the vegetables. Pour in soy sauce and continue cooking for 3 to 5 minutes until any liquid has evaporated.
- Mix with the potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
For a tasty twist, try using sweet potatoes instead. You’ll just need to peel them and cut into ½-inch cubes before boiling.