⅓ cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
½ cup white sugar
1¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and 1 cup sugar; beat in egg.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Stir flour into egg mixture, alternating with milk.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
- While muffins bake, combine ½ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Remove muffins from pan and let cool for 5 minutes. While muffins are still warm, roll tops of muffins in cinnamon sugar mixture.
You can top these off with a yummy vanilla glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, milk, and vanilla.
- Stir until smooth.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken.