Traveling With CF
These are the times that require some extra planning and prep. Here are some ways to keep up with your treatment regimen when you’re on the go:
- Bring extra: Consider packing an additional week’s worth of medicines in case you get delayed. Also, arrange to get refills ahead of time
- Pack snacks: Make sure to have plenty of snacks
- Chill your meds: If your cystic fibrosis (CF) medicine has to be refrigerated, call your airline in advance to see if they can keep it in a refrigerator during your flight
- Check it out before you check in: Find out in advance if your hotel room has a refrigerator to store medicines. Also consider mapping out where the closest CF clinic or hospital is
- Secure your security ahead of time: The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) can help you coordinate the security screening process in advance. Try to call TSA at least 72 hours before your flight.
Their toll-free help line is 1-855-787-2227, or you can visit the TSA online at www.tsa.gov.
- Keep a doctor's note close by: When carrying medicines and medical supplies, you never know when airline employees or TSA officials will ask to see a doctor's note
- Keep everything together: Consider storing your medicines in one accessible spot
- List out all your meds: Keep track of it all with an up-to-date list. There are tons of apps available for you to download. Search the app store to find one that works for you
- Get a cart: It holds your compressor, vest, and hose in one place. If it’s portable, you can take your cart wherever you like to get your regimen done